OMNeT++/OMNEST Bug Tracker

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Issue History ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0000571OMNeT++IDE / C++ developmentpublic2012-05-17 12:412013-12-06 15:29
Reporterrhornig 
Assigned Torhornig 
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilitysometimes
StatusresolvedResolutionfixed 
PlatformOSOS Version
Product Version4.2.2 
Target VersionFixed in Version4.3 
Summary0000571: Indexing happens too often and takes to long
Descriptione.g. before starting the simulation
TagsNo tags attached.
Attached Files

- Relationships

-  Notes
(0000770)
andras (administrator)
2012-09-27 10:30

Background: We use the C++ index for dependency generation in the Makefile. Makefiles are refreshed before each build, and thus dependencies in them are also updated if needed. Originally (in 4.0), we used some simple code to basically just grep all #include lines from the source files, and turn that into dependencies. Then, when we introduced Project Features, lots of #includes in INET/INETMANET became conditional (inside #if/#ifdef), and we had switch to a more sophisticated solution that only takes the actually active #include lines as dependencies (and ignores those in disabled code blocks). The idea was to use the index, because CDT's parser follows the #ifs/#ifdefs correctly and knows which #includes are active and which are not. The consequence was that we had to ensure that the index is up to date before each build, otherwise dependencies in the generated Makefiles would be based on obsolete info, which could result in non-obvious build errors.

Updating the index is usually incremental (=fast). However, when defined symbols change (as e.g. in the case of turning project features on or off), CDT cannot update the index incrementally, but instead we have to trigger a full reindexing which takes a long time. Other changes in the C/C++ configuration of the project may also trigger full reindexing. After just source code changes, however, CDT can incrementally update the index, so it shouldn't take long.
(0000771)
andras (administrator)
2012-09-27 10:33

Implementation note: we need to reimplement extracting the active #includes without using the index. Bits'n'pieces of CDT code seems useful for the implementation: CPreprocessor class and especially its helper classes ExpressionEvaluator, MacroDefinitionParser, MacroExpander.
(0000846)
rhornig (administrator)
2013-12-06 15:29

Was fixed for 4.3 by reimplementing the dependency generator.

- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2012-05-17 12:41 rhornig New Issue
2012-09-27 10:30 andras Note Added: 0000770
2012-09-27 10:33 andras Note Added: 0000771
2013-12-06 15:29 rhornig Note Added: 0000846
2013-12-06 15:29 rhornig Status new => resolved
2013-12-06 15:29 rhornig Fixed in Version => 4.3
2013-12-06 15:29 rhornig Resolution open => fixed
2013-12-06 15:29 rhornig Assigned To => rhornig


Copyright © 2000 - 2019 MantisBT Team
Powered by Mantis Bugtracker